USICD’S MISSION & HISTORY
USICD was established in 1991 as a non-profit 501(c) 3. We serve as both a technical resource and a relationship builder to people with disabilities for National Grassroots Organizations (NGOs), government, and corporate partners.
USICD’s member Board of Directors includes the most recognized leaders in the American disability rights movement, providing a wealth of experience and strategic guidance. Our projects empower people with disabilities around the world through grassroots strategies, as well as national and international policy advocacy.
As a global network and consulting hub, USICD’s relationships in countries around the world can serve partner NGOs who see to engage disability communities and leaders in diverse settings. USICD’s consultative status at the United Nations and our role as the US National Assembly in Disabled Peoples’ International have positioned USICD as a global leader.
Our mission is to advance international disability rights and inclusive development and to build bridges among the U.S. and foreign governments, disability and human rights communities, and the private sector through strategic advocacy, convening, and training and education.
ABOUT BOARD SERVICE
USICD seeks to have a balance in the composition of the board. We seek individuals:
- able to serve a term of two years
- with and without disabilities (preferably with disabilities)
- business leaders
- people of color
- with experience and skills in fund development, general law (such as contracts, intellectual property and non-profit law), marketing, publishing, media relations, accounting, and legislative advocacy are also encouraged to apply.
This list is neither exclusionary nor exhaustive. It is a call to the membership to offer your talents and resources to the USICD.
Serving on USICD’s Board of Directors is a great honor but one that comes with important responsibilities, such as:
- Committing to participating in all board meetings; the annual meeting of members; and selecting and actively participating in a board committee(s).
- Participating in fund development, such as building relationships and cultivating new gala sponsors; seeking grants and contracts on behalf of USICD, and promoting our work at meeting and events you attend.
- Committing to an annual donation to USICD.
- Committing to travel for board retreats and the USICD fundraising gala at own expense.
- Determining, monitoring, and strengthening programs and services that align with USICD’s key strategic priorities.
- Ensuring effective organizational planning
- Ensuring ethical and legal integrity and accountability
- Working closely with USICD staff
Applications must be received by Sunday, October 25th, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST. Only USICD members in good standing will be considered. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: USICD Board Nomination 2021