A Call to Appoint the Special Advisor on International Disability Rights
- The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities>>
- International Projects>>
- Disability in U.S. Foreign Affairs>>
- Youth in International Development and Foreign Affairs>>
Call to Appoint a Special Advisor for Intl. Disability Rights
Instead, Secretary Tillerson chose to eliminate the position entirely and proposes relegating the current disability mission under the Office of the Secretary to the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL).
We Need Your Help!!
Please write to Secretary Pompeo and ask please ask him to do the following:
1. Establish the U.S. Special Advisor for International Disability Rights in the Department of State a permanent entity with authorization for sufficient standing (e.g. ambassadorship for the director), staff, and funding.
2. This can be accomplished by supporting the language that establishes the Office of International Disability Rights that is already included in the Department of State Authorities Act, Fiscal Year 2018.
3. When Secretary Tillerson and Secretary Pompeo both failed to respond to USICD's letter, it showed a clear disregard for the disability community in the United States and the discrimination and isolation faced by over one billion persons with disabilities worldwide. Tell Secretary Pompeo that in the letter!
3. Secretary Pompeo must meet with the United States International Council on Disabilities (USICD) and hear from people with disabilities about the important role the Special Advisor has in the global disability rights movement.
Want to do more? The following document provides contact information for members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as well as guidance on locating contact information for your own Senators:
Don't forget to follow @USICD on Twitter! Please retweet our Tweets!